Our Local is holding a vacancy election October 29th and 30th to fill Executive Board and Joint Council positions. Please read on for information about the election and instructions on how to accept nomination if you are interested in running for one of these positions.
Statewide Executive Board:
* Northern Vice President
* Southern Vice President
* 5 Head Stewards at Berkeley
* 2 Head Stewards at Davis
* 7 Head Stewards at Los Angeles
* 3 Head Stewards, Unit Chair, and Recording Secretary at Riverside
* 4 Head Stewards at San Diego
* Unit Chair and Recording Secretary at Santa Barbara
* 2 Head Stewards at Santa Cruz
The term for these offices is from the time the election is certified until the Local’s next Triennial election, which is scheduled for May 2017.
WHEN ACCEPTING NOMINATION INCLUDE:
1. Position to which you are accepting nomination
2. Your name as you’d like it to appear on the ballot
3. Contact information: Department, phone number, and non-UC email address
4. Candidate statement (up to 500 words, optional) – In the case of a contested election, the statement will be posted on the Local’s website and at applicable campus offices no later than Thursday, October 23, 2015, and will be available at polling sites during the election.
Deadline to accept nomination: Thursday, October 15, 2015 at 5pm (PST)
Candidate statements (optional) due: Thursday, October 15, 2015 at 5pm (PST)
Voting (if there are contested positions): Thursday and Friday, October 29-30, 2015
Run-off election (if necessary): Thursday and Friday, November 5-6, 2015
For Executive Board: All UAW Local 2865 members in continuous good standing for one (1) year prior to accepting nominations are automatically nominated for these positions.
For Joint Council: All UAW Local 2865 Santa Cruz members in continuous good standing for ninety (90) days prior to accepting nominations are automatically nominated for these positions.
Concurrently held positions: Bylaws changes voted into effect at the recent Joint Council meeting prohibit members from concurrently holding campus leadership positions (Unit Chair or Recording Secretary) and Executive Board positions.
Each member who wishes to accept nomination must indicate this intention in writing. Please only accept nomination if you intend to run for the position, as nomination acceptances cannot be withdrawn once the nominating period has closed. The easiest way to accept nomination is go to tiny.cc/VacancyElectionOct15 and fill out the form. You may also accept nomination by e-mail, fax, mail, or hand delivery. Please e-mail your acceptance of nomination to firstname.lastname@example.org, or send your acceptance to Elections Committee, UAW Local 2865, 2030 Addison St, Suite 640A, Berkeley, CA 94704, Fax (510) 549-2514.