Work with the Student-Workers Union, UAW Local 2865
Statewide Part-Time Field Organizers
Location: Applicants must be based in Berkeley, Davis, Irvine, San Diego, or Los Angeles, CA or willing to relocate
Hours and Pay: 15 hours per week at an hourly wage of $32.03 for 11 to 15 weeks
Deadline: Please send application to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will review applications on a rolling basis starting July 28, 2018.
The UC Student-Workers Union, UAW Local 2865, is a dynamic, member-driven labor union representing over 17,000 Academic Student Employees (ASEs) – Teaching Assistants, Readers, Graders, Tutors, and others – at the nine teaching campuses of the University of California.
The UC Student-Workers Union is currently hiring part-time Field Organizers to organize student-workers across the UC at UC-Berkeley, UC-Davis, UCLA, UC-Irvine, and UC-San Diego. These positions will be directly responsible for organizing activities, including membership recruitment, leadership identification and development, strike preparedness, and assisting with member turnout for statewide campaigns/mobilizations.
Candidates who are people of color, working-class, queer, trans, women, and/or disabled are strongly encouraged to apply.
Part-Time Field Organizing Responsibilities:
- Work with existing union members to recruit new members and identify and develop new worksite leaders across departments
- Collaborate with union members to help build a broad, representative Organizing Committee (OC) of worksite leaders across campus and assist OC members in moving worksite organizing campaigns
- Willingness to develop and execute clear written organizing plans each week in consultation with the regional Lead Organizer
- Assist leaders in mobilizing for union actions (pickets, rallies, strikes, etc.) and campaigns through activities such as phone-banking, leafleting, door-knocking within departments, holding department meetings, etc.
- Perform administrative tasks necessary for organizing (such as maintaining databases, producing materials and correspondence)
- Any other duties/tasks as assigned
Required Experience and Characteristics:
- Ability to work with, identify, and recruit leaders of diverse backgrounds and experiences
- Ability to conduct one-to-one organizing conversations
- Willingness to role-play and workshop difficult conversations with Lead Organizers and member-leaders
- Ability to facilitate and plan meetings that solicit broad worker participation
- Work well in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, including prompt responsiveness to emails, phone calls, and other forms of communication
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines
- Willingness to work late nights and weekends: this is not a 9 to 5 job
Preferred Experience and Characteristics:
- Demonstrated experience moving workers to action
- Ability to provide organizing feedback to member leaders
- Experience with organizing academic workers, public sector employees, and/or student workers
- Bilingual or multilingual (especially Farsi, Mandarin, Cantonese, and Hindi)
Scope and Nature of Supervision:
The statewide part-time Field Organizers report directly to a regional full-time Lead Organizer.
Part-time Field Organizers are ultimately accountable to–and employed by–the statewide membership as a whole, with managerial authority residing within the Executive Board. This democratically-elected body has the authority to hire, fire, and issue corrective action based on recommendations and evaluations by the Lead Organizers and member-leaders.
The part-time Field Organizers will be required to write a weekly work plan and participate in at least one weekly check-in call/meeting with a full-time Lead Organizer. Additionally, part-time Field Organizers will be expected to attend monthly staff meetings, which are one full day a month (9:00 am-5:00 pm).
To Apply For This Position: Please send a cover letter, resume/CV, and the contact information for two references to email@example.com. Please use the subject line: “[Your Name] [Campus] Part-Time Field Organizer Application.” The hiring committee will review applications on a rolling basis after July 28, 2018.