(updated June 20, 2017)
The UC Student-Workers Union, UAW 2865, is a dynamic, member-driven labor union representing over 16,000 Academic Student Employees (ASEs) – Teaching Assistants, Readers, Graders, Tutors, and others – at the 9 teaching campuses of the University of California. The UC Student-Workers Union is currently hiring full-time organizers (including a potential lead organizer, depending on the experience of the applicants) to be based at the southern and northern UC campuses. Candidates who identify as people of color, working class, queer, trans, women, and/or disabled are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work with existing union members to sign up new members, have academic student employees fill out bargaining surveys, and identify and develop new leaders and stewards across departments and UC campuses
- Collaborate with union members to develop a broad, representative organizing committee of worksite leaders at each campus, and help train organizing committee members to move worksite organizing campaigns
- Assist in member-driven bargaining campaigns and campus and community solidarity efforts to advance social justice at UC and beyond
- Conduct and/or coordinate grievance and organizing trainings with new and existing leaders and stewards in our union on each campus at least once per semester
- Assist in organizing and coordinating large actions such as pickets, marches, and strikes
- Assist leaders in mobilizing for union actions and campaigns through activities such as phone-banking, leafleting, door knocking in departments, holding department meetings, etc.
- Assist with outreach to student organizations, community groups, and other allies
- Support the development of our other UC Student-Workers Union staff members
- Perform administrative tasks necessary for organizing (such as maintaining databases, producing materials and correspondence)
- Take direction from elected union leaders on the Joint Council (the union’s statewide body of elected leaders) in crafting their work plan
- Any other duties/tasks as assigned
- A demonstrated commitment to union democracy, bottom-up member-driven organizing, social justice, anti-oppression, and social movement unionism
- Strong preference for individuals with previous organizing experience in labor, community, student, and/or social movement organizations or campaigns
- Strong preference for individuals who are familiar with the political landscape of California, the UC, and/or UAW 2865
- Strong coalition-building and facilitation skills across a diverse set organizations and constituents
- Experience organizing workplace strikes with broad participation
- Experience building strong internal union organization with majority membership and stewards/leadership across a diversity of departments/worksites
- Willingness to travel between campuses (travel expenses will be covered by the UC Student-Workers Union)
- Experience with organizing academic workers, public sector employees, and/or student workers, either as a rank-and-file member or a staff organizer.
- An ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness to work some weeknights and weekends
- Willingness to respond promptly to e-mails, phone calls, and other forms of communication
Salary and Benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with level of experience. Health, dental, and vision coverage provided, paid personal time off as well as sick time.
Instructions for Applying
Interested applicants should submit a resume/CV, 2-3 references, and a one-page cover letter with the subject line “[Your Name] Full-Time Organizer Application” to the hiring committee at email@example.com by July 14, 2017.