(updated December 11, 2017)
UC Student-Workers Union (UAW 2865) Communications Specialist
Location: California (preferably near a UC teaching campus)
Deadline: Submit applications to email@example.com by Dec 27, 2017
The UC Student-Workers Union, UAW 2865, is a dynamic, member-driven labor union representing over 16,000 Academic Student Employees (ASEs) – Teaching Assistants, Readers, Graders, Tutors, and others – at the 9 teaching campuses of the University of California.
The UC Student-Workers Union is currently hiring one 20 hour per week Communications Specialist to work with our statewide Communications Committee to execute a comprehensive statewide Communications Plan. This will include effective messaging and framing strategies that will advance field organizing campaign goals, thereby helping student-workers achieve greater victories through our union.
Candidates who identify as people of color, working class, queer, trans, women, and/or disabled are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Print Media:
- Support the work of the Field Organizing Team by developing engaging flyers, stickers, and other organizing materials.
- Assist membership committees including Communications Committee in writing brochures, posters and other publicity materials.
- Draft press releases, articles, and op-eds for external distribution.
- Coordinating the dissemination of print media across all 9 campuses.
- Maintain and update our statewide website, including press releases and communications approved by elected leadership.
- Improve the visibility and functionality of the website to support bargaining and other priority campaigns.
- Incorporate social media into the website and field organizing
- Social Media:
- Create new and compelling content for our union’s statewide social media networks, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat.
- Coordinate campus-level social media accounts, encouraging active social media presence on every campus.
- Other tasks and duties as assigned.
Required Experience and Characteristics:
- A demonstrated commitment to union democracy, bottom-up member-driven organizing, social justice, anti-oppression, and social movement unionism.
- Exceptional graphic and web design skills.
- Strong writing and editing skills, including demonstrated experience writing news stories, features, editorials, speeches, press releases, promotional/advertising copy, and/or social media posts.
- Ability to produce effective flyers, leaflets and other materials to support organizing and contract campaigns.
- Strong grasp of social media and how to use it effectively to communicate with membership and external audiences, and to support organizing and contract campaigns.
- Strong media relations skills, including the ability to project our union’s message with confidence.
- Familiarity with labor, community, and/or campus organizing.
- Work independently in a competent and professional manner, implementing UAW Local 2865’s overall goals and expectations.
Preferred Experience and Characteristics:
- One year of experience working in a Communications role for a union or similar social justice organization.
- Familiarity with the political landscape of California and the University of California.
- Knowledge of: Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, WordPress, and website updating methods.
- Knowledge of professional project-management practices and experience implementing multiple complex, fast-moving communications projects concurrently.
- Demonstrated experience in performing proactive media outreach and generating positive media coverage.
- Ability to produce and edit promotional videos for use online.
- Ability to speak, write, read and translate in one or more languages (especially Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, and Hindi).
Scope and Nature of Supervision:
The Communications Specialist reports directly to the Statewide Field Organizing Coordinator (staff leadership) and the Staff Support Committee (member leadership). This position provides support and technical assistance to a member-led Communications Committee, which includes regular participation in committee meetings. Like all local union staff, the Communications Specialist is ultimately accountable to and is employed by the union membership as a whole, which is represented by the Joint Council and the Executive Board. These democratically-elected bodies have the authority to hire, fire, and issue corrective action based on recommendations and evaluations by the Statewide Field Organizing Coordinator and the Staff Support Committee.
- Occasional travel to statewide office in Berkeley and between UC campuses for special events.
- Must possess a laptop capable of running Adobe Suite, Indesign, and other design programs.
- Must possess an email-capable cell phone for business use.
This Position Offers::
- A competitive pay rate of $32.03/hr.
- Full health, dental, and vision coverage, including coverage for eligible dependents.
- Reimbursement for work-related travel in accordance with UAW 2865 policies.
To Apply For This Position: Please email letter of interest, Resume, contact information for two references, and sample(s) of your web/print design work and editorial work to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line: “[Your Name] Communications Specialist Application.” The hiring committee will review applications on a rolling basis after Dec 27, 2017.