UC Student-Workers Union (UAW 2865) Full-Time Organizer Job Description
Location: Applicants must be based in Davis, Merced, or Bay Area (or be willing to relocate)
Deadline: Submit applications to firstname.lastname@example.org For full consideration, apply by Monday, July 2
The UC Student-Workers Union, UAW 2865, is a dynamic, member-driven, social-justice labor union representing over 16,000 Academic Student Employees (ASEs) – Teaching Assistants, Readers, Graders, Tutors, and others – at the 9 teaching campuses of the University of California.
The UC Student-Workers Union is currently hiring a full-time Field Organizer in Northern California.
- Identify and develop new worker leaders from diverse backgrounds, in particular, workers of color.
- Develop an organizing committee of worksite leaders at their respective worksites.
- Train organizing committee members to move worksite organizing campaigns
- Conduct organizing trainings in collaboration with worker leaders
- Assist in organizing and coordinating large actions such as pickets, marches, and strikes
- Assist leaders in mobilizing for union actions and campaigns through activities such as phone-banking, leafleting, door knocking, tabling, holding department meetings, etc.
- Perform administrative tasks necessary for organizing (such as maintaining databases, producing materials and correspondence)
- Any other duties/tasks as assigned
Preferred Experience and Characteristics:
- A demonstrated commitment to union democracy, bottom-up member-driven organizing, social justice, anti-oppression, and social movement unionism
- Experience working for an organization whose mission is promoting racial justice
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and strong writing abilities
- Previous organizing experience in labor, community, student, and/or social movement organizations or campaigns
- Familiarity with the political landscape of California, the UC, and/or UAW 2865
Scope and Nature of Supervision:
The Northern Field Organizer will report to a lead field organizer and be expected to follow a weekly work plan.
- Willingness to work long, irregular hours, including some nights and weekends. This is not a 9 to 5 job.
- Willingness to travel between work sites in Northern California on a regular basis. (Travel expenses and AAA membership will be covered by the UC Student-Workers Union)
- Willingness to respond promptly to e-mails, phone calls, and other forms of communication
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license, auto insurance with adequate coverage, and an automobile for business use.
- Must possess an email-capable cell phone for business use.
- Must possess a laptop, iPad, or comparable portable computing device for business use.
The UC Student-Workers Union, UAW 2865, is an equal opportunity employer and an organization devoted to challenging exploitation in all of its intersecting forms. Working class people, women, people of color, LGBTQ-identified people, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary and Benefits:
This position is covered by a collectively bargained agreement, with a generous benefits package and starting salary at $66,622.40.
Instructions for Applying:
Interested applicants should submit a resume, 2-3 references, and a one-page cover letter with the subject line “[Your Name] Full-Time Organizer Application” to the hiring committee at email@example.com by July 2, 2018.