UC Student-Workers Union (UAW 2865) Lead Field Organizer Job Description
Location: Applicants must be based in Davis, Merced, or Bay Area (or be willing to relocate)
Deadline: Submit applications to firstname.lastname@example.org For full consideration, apply by Monday, July 2
The UC Student-Workers Union, UAW 2865, is a dynamic, member-driven, social-justice labor union representing over 16,000 Academic Student Employees (ASEs) – Teaching Assistants, Readers, Graders, Tutors, and others – at the 9 teaching campuses of the University of California.
The UC Student-Workers Union is currently hiring a Lead Field Organizer in Northern California. This position will be directly responsible for organizing activities at assigned worksites, including leadership recruitment, training members, strategic planning in conjunction with local union leadership, and helping to plan and implement workplace campaigns, both statewide and at the unit level.
The Lead Field Organizer will assist with training, development, and support of one or more field staff.
- Provide ongoing training and oversight of one or more Field Organizers, including support and guidance in the development of individual field organizer work plans, their implementation, and review of results.
- Assist local leaders with the development of campaign plans, including effective coordination of available staff and other resources.
- Work with the Statewide Field Coordinator to prepare and execute statewide organizing plans, specific goals, and timelines for priority campaigns.
- Sign up new members and identify and develop new worker leaders and stewards from diverse backgrounds, in particular, workers of color.
- Develop an organizing committee of worksite leaders at each campus, and help train organizing committee members to move worksite organizing campaigns
- Conduct and/or coordinate grievance and organizing trainings
- Assist in organizing and coordinating large actions such as pickets, marches, and strikes
- Assist leaders in mobilizing for union actions and campaigns through activities such as phone-banking, leafleting, door knocking in departments, tabling holding department meetings, etc.
- Perform administrative tasks necessary for organizing (such as maintaining databases, producing materials and correspondence)
- Any other duties/tasks as assigned
Required Experience and Characteristics:
- A demonstrated commitment to union democracy, bottom-up member-driven organizing, social justice, anti-oppression, and social movement unionism.
- At least two years of experience as a full-time organizer and/or field representative
- Ability to move workers to collective action.
- Ability to lead and inspire other field organizers to carry out plans and implement goals.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and strong writing abilities
- Experience with internal workplace organizing
- Ability to develop and run skills trainings for union members and staff.
- An ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines
Preferred Experience and Characteristics:
- One year of experience supervising or coordinating one or more field staff.
- Experience working for an organization whose mission is promoting racial justice
- Familiarity with the political landscape of California and the University of California
- Experience with organizing academic workers, public sector employees, and/or student workers.
- Experience organizing workplace strikes with broad participation.
- Experience with external workplace organizing
- Bilingual or multilingual (especially Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Farsi, Korean, and Hindi).
Scope and Nature of Supervision:
The Lead Field Organizer reports directly to the Statewide Field Coordinator (staff leadership) and the Executive Board.
- Willingness to work long, irregular hours, including some nights and weekends. This is not a 9 to 5 job.
- Willingness to travel between work sites in Northern California on a regular basis. (Travel expenses and AAA membership will be covered by the UC Student-Workers Union)
- Willingness to respond promptly to e-mails, phone calls, and other forms of communication
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license, auto insurance with adequate coverage, and an automobile for business use.
- Must possess an email-capable cell phone for business use.
- Must possess a laptop, iPad, or comparable portable computing device for business use.
The UC Student-Workers Union, UAW 2865, is an equal opportunity employer and an organization devoted to challenging exploitation in all of its intersecting forms. Working class people, women, people of color, LGBTQ-identified people, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary and Benefits:
This position is covered by a collectively bargained agreement, with a generous benefits package and starting salary at $71,518.72.
Instructions for Applying:
Interested applicants should submit a resume, 2-3 references, and a cover letter with the subject line “[Your Name] Lead Field Organizer Application” to the hiring committee at email@example.com. For full consideration apply by Monday, July 2, 2018.