This Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 12,000 comrades in Teamsters Local 2010 will be on strike and need our support! These clerical and skilled trades employees are fighting for fair raises and benefits in the face of management’s refusal to bargain in good faith. Their wages are so low that over 70% of workers suffer from hunger or food insecurity, and their real wages are down by 24% over the past two decades.
Locations for local actions are listed below. Additionally, in Los Angeles, Local 2010 members in the skilled trades will be on a ULP strike for five-days, from January 6-10. Skilled Trades workers at UCLA have been working without a contract or raises for four years, and are paid as much as $10 an hour below prevailing wage. Picketing will occur all week at: 100 Medical Plaza Driveway, Los Angeles, CA 90024, January 6-10, 6:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
UAW is bound by Article 19 of our contract not to engage in sympathy strikes. Thus, the UAW has not issued a strike notice and is not calling for, promoting or engaging in a sympathy strike. However, as individual students, you can exercise your First Amendment right to free speech to demonstrate your support for the Teamsters workers. If it does not conflict with your work obligations, you have every right to walk on a picket line, write leaflets, and speak out to your colleagues and students about your views on labor relations at UC in general, or with respect to the Teamsters in particular. You can go to the picket line or do other strike support at your work location as long as it is not on work time. At work, you can wear buttons or t-shirts or express your views. You can also decide to personally not cross a picket line, or hold your classes or office hours off campus to avoid picket lines.
The UC Student-Workers Union UAW 2865 strongly supports the struggles of our Teamsters comrades to lift the wages and help prevent hunger among many full-time UC workers and their families. You can read more about their struggle here.
If you think you are receiving any threats about your responsibilities during the strike, please contact your local UAW 2865 campus unit for support.
As our union begins bargaining with management in 2018, it is important that in 2017 we show other UC workers that we support them and stand with their fight.
Picket locations are as follows:
Northern California Strike Locations (1/10/2017):
- UC Berkeley: Gayley Rd. & Hearst Ave., Berkeley, 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Lawrence Berkeley National Lab: Hearst Ave. and Cyclotron Rd., Berkeley, 7:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- UC San Francisco: 505 Parnassus Ave., San Francisco, 6:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (Rally at 12 noon)
- UC Office of the President: 1111 Franklin St, Oakland, CA 94607, 7:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- UC Merced: Lake Rd. and Bellevue Rd., Merced, 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- UC Davis – Campus: Dairy Rd. & Hutchison Dr., Davis CA 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- UC Davis – Medical Center: X St. & Stockton Blvd., Sacramento, 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- UC Santa Cruz: Heller Dr. & Empire Grade, Santa Cruz, 6:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Southern California Strike Locations (1/10/2017):
- UC Los Angeles: 100 Medical Plaza Driveway, Los Angeles, CA 90024, 6:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- UC Irvine – Medical Center: 101 The City Drive South, Orange, 7:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- UC San Diego – Hillcrest Hospital: 200 W. Arbor Dr., San Diego, 5:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- UC Riverside: 900 University Ave., Riverside, CA 92521, 7:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- UC Santa Barbara: Henley Gate, 7:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.