UAW Local 2865 has elections for Local Union officers, including the officers of the Executive Board and the Joint Council every three years, and Campus units hold elections for stewards according to their own election procedures.
The Election Committee is responsible for running all Local Union elections, including elections, strike votes, and contract ratification votes. The Election Committee is responsible for the publication of notice for nominations and elections, the verification of eligibility for candidates, the organization and supervision of election proceedings, and the counting of ballots.
The Election Committee consists of one (1) Election Committee Member and one (1) Alternate Committee Member from each Campus Unit who are elected by members of that Campus Unit to serve a one (1) year term. The full duties of the Election Committee are defined in Article 13 of the Local’s Bylaws.
|Los Angeles||Olivia Irving||VACANT|
|Santa Cruz||Asher Wasserman||VACANT|
- All UAW Local 2865 Members in continuous good standing for ninety days are automatically nominated for any vacant Steward or Joint Council office.
- All members in continuous good standing for one year are automatically nominated for any vacant Executive Board office.
- Any member may accept their nomination prior to an election, as per the elections timeline on the Election Notices page.
Any member in good standing can vote in elections and are automatically nominated to serve on the Elections Committee, and for all Local 2865 union offices when there is an election. Any member may accept nomination by submitting in writing a statement of acceptance to the Recording Secretary.
There are three main elected governing bodies in the union:
1) The Executive Board of the Local Union has these positions: President, two (2) Vice Presidents (representing northern and southern campuses), Recording Secretary, Financial Secretary, Sergeant at Arms, Guide, and three (3) Trustees.
2) The Joint Council consists of the Executive Board members and the elected Head Stewards elected from each Campus Unit.
3) Each Campus Unit elects a Campus Unit Chair and a Campus Recording Secretary, who also serve as Head Stewards. Each Campus Unit also elects one (1) more than one (1) Head Steward for each two hundred (200) members in good standing in the Campus Unit.
The rules that govern elections are found in the Local 2865 and Campus Unit bylaws. Look to them for more details about elections and the Local.