UCSWU – UAW 2865
Travel, Lodging, and Accommodations Policy

Approved by the Joint Council in November, 2011
Amended by the Executive Board in May, 2013

The below is the standing policy of our union, clarifying travel reimbursement policy for flights and lodging for Joint Councils and other travel for authorized union business. Use this policy to clarify any questions you may have about union-related travel reimbursements.

I. Summary

1. When and how you are entitled to travel reimbursement
2. Joint Council Travel Policy
3. General Travel Policy
4. Office Booking Policy
5. Accommodation Policy
6. Relevant Text from the Bylaws

II. Text

Member entitlements to travel reimbursement:

All authorized travel on union business over 50 miles is entitled to a mileage reimbursement.
Transportation to an airport, airport parking, and car rental can also be reimbursed if approved in advance.
Flights can be reimbursed if travel by plane has been authorized in advance.
Travel spending made without prior approval but on duly authorized union business in unforeseen and exigent circumstances will be fairly considered for reimbursement by the Executive Board and Joint Council.

Joint Council Travel Policy:

Joint council members are entitled to the normal mileage reimbursement for Joint Council meetings outside their own campus.

A Joint Council member may be reimbursed for the cost of flying (rather than driving) to a Joint Council meeting, if – given personal commitments – (1a) the Joint Council member demonstrates his/her inability to arrange carpools with other Joint Council members traveling to the meeting from the same or a nearby campus, and (1b) the cost of traveling by car individually exceeds the cost of flight, or (2) the Joint Council member is entitled to travel by means other than car because of the accommodation policy.

If a Joint Council member wishes to travel to a Joint Council meeting from a location other than their home campus area (due to travel for research or other academic purposes), they are entitled to a reimbursement up to the amount of the round-trip mileage reimbursement from their home campus to the meeting location, for travel by car, plane, or other conveyance, though they may also exercise their right to an excused absence.

When a Joint Council meeting coincides with another meeting that an officer has to attend, the JC travel policy (which encourages travel by car and carpooling) applies unless the relevant committee or body has specifically allocated funding for flights to this meeting

General Travel Policy:

All duly authorized travel is automatically entitled to a mileage reimbursement, as defined in the bylaws. Reimbursements are requested using this form: Campus Expense Dispersal and Reimbursement Form.

Travel conducted in a manner other than use of one’s own personal conveyance and in excess of the ordinary mileage reimbursement rate, must be approved in advance by the Executive Board (or Joint Council), as well as the appropriate committee or unit, when drawing from a committee or unit budget rather than general travel funds.

Spending on lodgings must be approved in advance, excepting exigent circumstances.

For travel spending to a committee meeting or committee-related activity, the committee, officer, or member requesting travel funding shall provide:

1. Proof of official committee or unit approval of the expense – to be drawn from the committee or unit budget – for those individuals travelling as per the Expense Authorization policy
2. A record of the maximum amount approved for said expenses by the committee.

Office Booking Policy:

When any officer or member requests advance booking of a flight by the statewide office in lieu of use of the reimbursement process, their request to the statewide office ( must include the following information:

1. Proof of Executive Board approval, including the maximum dollar amount allowed
2. Full name (as it appears on identification) and date of birth
3. The specific flight(s) preferred
4. The earliest and latest time possible for arrival and departure, in case the preferred flight is unavailable.
5. Such requests should be made 10 business days in advance of a flight.

Requesters should make every effort to book their travel as early as possible. Individuals under financial duress or other exigent circumstances can request that the union book a flight directly with less than 10 business days notice by contacting the executive board through Please label your request “Prompt Action Required”

Accommodation Policy:

If an officer has a disability or other condition which requires special accommodation when engaging in travel on duly authorized union business, they may request to be permanently pre-approved for accommodation for such travel. If appropriate, the Executive Board may request documentation by a doctor of the need for special accommodation.

This request should be made to the Executive Board no later than 14 days in advance of the earliest planned date of travel. If approved, the Executive Board will communicate this information to the office manager, who will maintain the list of officers pre-approved for special accommodation when travelling on union business. An officer on this list is still responsible for giving the main office 10 business days notice for any request to book a flight or other travel accommodation,, unless exigent circumstances apply.

III. Relevant Bylaws Text:

Article 20 – Section 5. Advance approval of the Joint Council is required for reimbursement of travel and related expenses. If approval is required before the next Joint Council meeting, the Executive Board shall have authority to approve.

Article 20 – Section 7. Reimbursement for per diem expenses when travelling on Union business shall be provided to elected Union officials as follows:

Hotel/Motel: All overnight hotel stays and hotel/motel rates must be approved by the Executive Board in advance, except in emergency situations. A person cannot be reimbursed for more than one room per night of stay.

Meals: when authorized to travel more than 100 miles from home or required to stay overnight (with the exception of meetings required by the bylaws) per diem reimbursement rate shall be 75% of the corresponding per diem rate paid by the international union.

Transportation: all travel must be approved by the Executive Board or President in
advance. Tolls with original receipts will be reimbursed for authorized travel. Authorized
travel by car exceeding 50 miles will be reimbursed at the average between the IRS
business mileage rate and the IRS medical and moving mileage rate. Transportation to,
or parking at, an airport will be reimbursed with receipt when traveling on Union
business; the mode of transportation to and from the airport must be approved in advance.
Airport parking will be reimbursed at the cost of the mid-range parking option; this rate
will be determined by the Financial Secretary and President. Car rental for authorized
travel will be reimbursed for a maximum of $50 per day, plus the cost of gasoline, where
there is a clear necessity for the rental. Rental cars must be on the UAW Buy List in order
to be eligible for reimbursement. The cost of public transportation as an alternative to car
travel will be reimbursed where necessary. Exceptions to any of these rates must be
approved in advance.